thankfully this quarter's workload appears to be relatively relax. I believe it's something to do with having 2 mograph classes instead of 2 or 3 graphic design classes. It is ironic considering how you usually are required to spend a ton more time rendering and animating but I guess it's also why you get less projects and process work requirements. graphic design on the other hand is sooo tedious in its brainstorming and conceptualization. Sometimes I wonder if I should drop mograph as a major and make it a minor instead so I can focus more on graphic design but I can't decide which one i really want to do more. For one thing, I like and enjoy mograph and I especially love to do concepts and storyboards/styleframes for it but then when it comes to animating everything I'm horrible at it. and don't even get me started about 3D graphics. sooo not mai thang. ah well. I guess for now I'll just take the stuff required for the minor and wait and see how things go? I guess that might give me more time and leeway to do more graphic design electives, do collaborative projects and do an internship.
speaking of internships, I really need to do one sometime soon and build my portfolio and resume in time for the upcoming career's fair in the spring :S 6 weeks might be too short for anyone to want to employ an intern and I definitely don't want to overkill myself and not have a break this entire year and actually have time to catch up with people and all that jazz. I'm thinking of maybe going in to chrystal's mum print shop and do some designs for them and earn some moolah and gain experience but I'm not keen on producing stuff for church all over again? I think I need some real world experience and I'm aware that they do produce work outside of church. I think it'll be useful to know how the printing process work for projects and production wise. Need to ask aunty sylvia about it though :S SO CHRYSTAL AND BROTHER..WHAT CHOO THINK???
as for now, I think this quarter has been quite a "get involved in your industry" mode. I'm now officially an AIGA (american institute of graphic artists) member and it feels strangely legit and pretty intimidating because it just means you're one step closer to getting out of school and into the working world. The fact that my credits status is that of a fourth year student is VERY scary because I do not feel that my work is up to par with standards and I'm doubtful of my ability to clinch an internship with that crap. But then again, i've been told multiple times not to put myself down or be so hard on myself cos the rest of the world is already doing it anyway. bummer. anyhows, to add to my list of curriculars for this quarter:
i'm now part of the AIGA SCAD exco as secretary, which means I am in regular contact with the president and my mentor, who is the faculty adviser and that's always good.
I'm a volunteer for the graphic design conference design ethos (good for networking yo) which gives me a free pass to the entire conference which costs a few hundred dollars to people outside of scad. and this is actually a big conference cos people from all over are coming down and the editor of Comm Arts will be there. WHEEEE :D
i'm a student ambassador
...a peer tutor
and I might be a shift leader/supervisor for this year's film festival shown at the trustees theatre (depends on whether i have the time) which gives me a chance to attend all the preview parties for free.
My email account for school and my calendar/organizer has never been this full of activities, meetings, trainings etc. I feel like a grown up :S
No comments:
Post a Comment