Monday, October 11, 2010

procrastination has gotten the best of me. It doesn't help either that my 2 mograph class really sucks. I'm contemplating dropping it to a minor and replacing the available class slots with graphic design electives instead. still thinking about it though. My lack of skills and passion in mograph is not doing me any good and I hate the class structures. Maybe cos i'm still doing the basic stuff. hmmm...

We recently had a graphic design conference held by the department. I wish I could say it was great. Everyone else thought it was fantastic but I thought the event could have been ran better. Maybe cos it was a small conference. Anyhows, it was mainly about sustainability and design ethos and I honestly don't feel strongly about it. I mean I recognize the need and I will keep in mind about such issues and design accordingly but then i'm not an activist and most of the lectures just went over my head. I don't know how but I felt as though I didn't gain anything from them...and then I read the twitter posts from everyone at the conference and i'm like WHAT? that's a good point. how on earth did i not catch that?!? ah well...gonna have to try to get my hands on the recordings and re-listen to them again.

The reception process was a nice comfortable environment for networking since we had our classmates around. I didn't really meet anyone from my batch and it was mainly seniors and graduate students. I think my batch seriously sucks and it's been quite depressing. I'm thankful that tutoring and the AIGA meetings have allowed me to meet talented seniors and grad students who are inviting me into their social circle and i've been invited to possibilities in collaboration. For the first time yesterday, the whole thing about being underaged for alcohol actually bummed me out. not that I want to drink, but rather the seniors were going to a bar to drink and continue talking about the conference and networking and stuff and I wished I could join them when they invited me but I was underaged so oh well...next year then. That's what they've decided. It's nice to have all these older kids looking after you. I kinda feel really pampered cos they're all like treating me like a talented young kid that they take care of yet they recognize my abilities and they're happy to work with me. life's good.

Receptions and networking scares the shit out of me and I seriously have no balls. I'm not a conversationalist and i'm horrible at carrying conversations. But then I guess it's partly cos I have such a short attention span and a small heart so I really can't be bothered to talk to most people or stay focused on the conversation. I get bored too fast and i'm not smart nor do i feel strongly about particularly any subject. I'm shallow....like my short height. =P Just hanging out with the AIGA club president for the last bit and seeing her interact with one of the speakers/professors was quite an eye opener. I don't know how to network and how it's done so just being there with her for that one thing was like WOW. this is how you do it. Then of course I tried and ended up embarassing myself because I had asked a question that a speaker had JUST explained and I didn't remember the speaker's name. BAH. and to top it off, I told the AIGA club president on her facebook about how I attended the conference and got nothing out of it cos all the information was way above my head and the next thing i knew...one of the speakers "liked" my comment. I almost died of embarassment. I blame it on her though. WHO ON EARTH ADDS THEIR NETWORKING PEOPLE TO FACEBOOK??!?! then must censor so much. retarded. and you all know i don't censor myself very well. networking in social environments should be left at LinkedIn. (but then again....no one really goes there. LOL)

ah well glory. time to grow up.

No comments: