Monday, September 28, 2009

here for another one of my weekly updates (though hopefully it won't be this little).

quite eventful though things did seem pretty ordinary with a little burst of fireworks now and then. I had a research paper that i wrote published in the school's english textbook supplement and it got read by the dean of the writing department. The hilarious part of it all is that he wrote to me personally asking me to give writing as a major a try. Based on the fact that my writing is seriously pretty bad from the Cs,Ds and Es that i normally get for GP back at SA...one can only conclude that a) the standard here sucks or b) i've improved alot.

i think it's pretty much a bit of both because the maths here is really sec 1 level of algebra and factorisation but I am very aware that I've finally learnt what a thesis statement is and how to structure each paragraph and make the whole essay and also how to do research. I've absolutely fallen in love with the access I have to all these databases to gather information. If only we had that in PW. OH WELL.

on that note, I'm pretty delighted with the classes that I'm taking this quarter. my 20th century art hist prof may be a tad bit sleep inducing, but he's definitely very passionate about art and his knowledge of it is pretty extensive and up to date. it's been very enriching to just sit in class and listen though I wish he could be more perky cos his humor is abit dry. english lit class is another relatively boring class if not for the fact that I'm exposed to the new york times book review which i must admit, is rather fascinating and I'm pretty interested in doing more readings now. I am however, struggling with what this class is trying to do :S it's very unlike the lit classes we have back home. I mean...we look at 2 stories each 2.5 hour class and that's pretty much it. then we go home and write a response paper that is open ended. no question on theme or language or development of character or plot. I'm still not quite sure what I'm supposed to do! :S

drawing for design has been a very tedious, time consuming and very frustrating experience. well..at least the chair design that i was working on. but I must say, I've learnt alot about perspective and this has definitely enlightened me on how people can convert a building into various views. so while this exercise has been a pain in the butt hole, it was good in helping me understand the concepts of perspective. saying so...my chair looks like shit. i am disgusted with myself.

life drawing is a relatively interesting yet awkward thing. i thought I have gotten used to the whole naked person idea but apparently not. I found myself secretly blushing (ok not so secret when i blush) when the model stripped and it was just a female model :S i guess it's weird to see different body types cos when the fat woman stripped, it was pretty more of a mental idea that it's not going to pretty. so seeing like a normal person's body was like i don't know. didn't really know what to expect? and the male model little swingy pendulum still bothers me ALOT. i don't quite like the concept of sex and am now more abhorred to the idea.

anyhoowsss..my roommates had a party last night that consisted of only 25 people but it seriously felt like more than 50. popular people were here but the focus was more on the number of people doing the merlion in my house last night. it was so stupid how people just don't know how to control themselves. thank goodness my bathroom is hidden in my room so I only had people peeing in here and not puking. that would be disgusting. but yeah...my roommate got pretty drunk (couldn't walk straight at all) and so did her close friend who pretty much puked so much that she crapped in her pants too. Got so bad we had to send everyone home to call the paramedics cos everyone here is below 21 and underaged for alcohol. bad bad bad. so yeah. drama drama and very disgusting to have people puking and hearing about it...and smelling it :S

but i'm half impressed and half not with my roommates. for one, they didn't want to call the paramedics for fear of getting into trouble. i mean..HELLO. you're not going to be in that huge a trouble for underage drinking versus risking someone's life. but we did call the paramedics and nothing happened thankfully. but i'm very impressed with how they were very willing to help clean the friend up with puke and shit and stay in there with the kid. I don't know how far I would have gone if it were my friend but I doubt I would. it was gross. I'm not such great a person after all. then again..this will probably not happen to any of my friends. so it's chill.

drama drama. exciting night yesterday :D

No comments: